Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Assessment for Learning

Fall in the classroom is a busy time!  We are learning procedures, rules, getting to know each other and we are gathering data.  Assessments, assessments, assessments…..

I have a large data sheet started for my class and have some great data collected at school and with the help of parents.  I am grateful for the great wealth of information I have for my kiddos in 6 short days!  I am also grateful that parents have shared their deep understanding of their child with me..



Why collect formative assessment data?
Assessment supports learning in two ways:

I can adapt and plan instruction on the basis of evidence, making changes and improvements that will benefit student learning.

Students can use this information to measure goals, activate prior knowledge and show a teacher what they already know.

All formative assessment practices have the potential to increase student learning, and offers a number of distinct benefits:
Lessons and Units of instruction tailored to the needs of the students.
The timeliness of results enables teachers to adjust instruction quickly, while learning is in progress.
The students who are assessed benefit from the adjustments.
The students can use the results to adjust and improve their own learning.
Improved real-time teaching and learning at every turn.


So, I will return to work tomorrow and continue to collect more assessment data on the adorable kiddos I share a classroom and my day with!

No comments:

Post a Comment